The Longsword is an overall great weapon. It is relatively fast, has a long reach and you are able to run while wielding it. With a raw damage nearly equal to the GS and a decent amount of elemental power, it is possibly the most powerful weapon class since it is easy to use and thus very accessible to newbies.
- High Raw Damage
- Long Reach
- Can combo infinitely
- May run while wielding it
- Good Sharpness
- Wears down relatively slow
- Save for a few swords, this weapon is lacking in the elemental damage department.
- Due to the long reach, YOU WILL KNOCK DOWN YOUR ALLIES IF YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO THEM.
- It takes a lot of time and money to upgrade the katana's Sharpness which means you will Bounce a lot early in the game.
- It is EXTREMELY sluggish and cumbersome and leaves you open to attack during a Spirit combo.
Tips and tricksEdit
- Cutting the tail
The Longsword user is always on "Tail duty", which means it is your job to cut the tail. This is due to the fact that the Overhead swing of the Longsword reaches very high. The larger Wyverns' tails are often more than one meter up in the air and only your Overhead swing and Upwards Slice is able to cut that high. If you just asked yourself, "Why can't a bow user cut the tail?" then I will answer you. It is because tails can only be cut with Slashing damage, whereas bows inflict Piercing damage.
- Friendly Fire
You do not deal friendly fire with the Katana, you do something much, much worse. You knock down your allies with your wide swings. As a general rule, the four hunters should each take up position in front, to both sides, and behind the prey to minimize the risk of knocking each other down. The Katana has a long reach and when you use combination attacks, you will use wide swings that will hit everyone to both your sides and in front of you.
Be aware of your range. Be aware of your teammates. Make sure they are aware of this as well.